Google Ads 101
October 4, 2019
We love Google. And if you’re in the 80% of internet users that are part of it, we know you do too. Where would we all be without it?
And the best chance to tap into that 80% of internet users? Google Ads. Sounds like a no-brainer doesn’t it?
We always tell businesses they need to have Google Ads, in fact, you almost can’t afford not to. It’s one of the easiest ways to drive targeted sales and leads, if you do it right. ninetyblack are huge Google fans and manage many campaigns for clients from a range of industries. We see it work.
But for some, it feels like a black box. So here’s a quick breakdown and a sneak peek of how it really works.
What are Google Ads?
Basically, it’s targeted advertising on a Google Search results page where you pay for each click on your ad. You can bid on keywords to show up in search results as ads.
Why it works:
- You can reach people who already have a demand for your services.
- It’s measurable – count the exact traffic, clicks, and conversions from an ad.
- It’s flexible – can be customised for any audience or location with a range of targeting methods.
- It’s cost-effective & works on any budget
- Gets faster results than SEO.
Choosing the right keywords
This is one of the most important steps and takes time and research. Not only do you want to increase traffic to your site, but you need it ensure it’s relevant and attracts the right audience. We make sure we include all the relevant keywords based on our clients’ goals and parameters, carrying out extensive research to maximise the potential clicks and conversions from these.
Types of advertising
Google offers different types of advertising based on your marketing goals. These basically determine where potential customers can see your ads. Here are the key ad types that we work with:
- Search: Ads in a Search campaign appear with Google search results at the top or bottom of the page. This is often the best option for businesses who want to reach people that already have a demand for their product or service.
- Display: These are visual banner ads you see on advertising-supported sites, and work great for brand awareness campaigns, complementing search ads with images and GIF formats.
- Video: Show your video ads on their own or within other streaming video content on YouTube or the Display network.
- Shopping: Product ads that display at the top or to the right of Google search results. These are ideal for eCommerce websites, where you can integrate any products and key purchasing information.
We don’t just stop at clicks, it’s the conversions that really matter. You can never tell how many clicks are actually driving sales if you don’t track them. Clicks are part of the bigger picture, but you’re missing out on valuable information if you can’t see where these clicks are really going.
By setting up conversion tracking, we tell Google what truly drives success in any campaign. It could be anything from purchases to phone calls to online form submission, or anything in between. You name it, we can track it.